Friday, October 17, 2008

Sometimes I just don't get it...you know?


(evidently this guy doesn't get it either)


I haven't spent quality time with my wife since Monday. It's Heritage Week at Southern Seminary. This may not mean much to you, but it can make things hard for us. I spend 12-14 hour days at the seminary during this week helping out as part of my responsibilities. I meet all kinds of great people who support Southern in many different ways. These people are what God uses to keep the great quality of professors at Southern, and still keep tuition rates lower than most seminaries. In other words, this is what helps keep Southern the best and largest seminary in the world. Also, Preview Conference started today. That means 3 more days that I won't get to see my wife. I get to hang out with prospective students all day hearing amazing stories of what and how God is working. These things are important, and I know they are part of my current calling; however, I know my current calling is not limited to these responsibilities. Obviously, I'm married and must be the spiritual leader of my home as well. I have been trying to figure out how to balance all this stuff for a long time. I have failed miserably in the past.





I told you that to set this up. This is an attempt to publicly balance these things.





To Katie: I miss you so much. I got home tonight to wake you up so I could kiss you good night. I hate that! Lately, you have challenged, encouraged, and strengthened me toward love and good deeds. I'm tired, sick, cranky, and not around this week; however, you have poured out your love on me. Sometimes I just don't get it. I don't get how we could be such great friends. I don't get how we could be such polar opposites, but at the same time be so similar. I don't get how your smile automatically makes me smile. I don't get how come you do so much for me and don't expect anything in return. I don't get how you can calm me down so quickly when I'm mad. I don't get how you can encourage me so faithfully when I'm down. I don't get how we can look at the same passage of scripture, see two different things, and both of them be relevant. I don't get how whatever you like automatically becomes something I like. I don't get why we work so well together. I don't get why for the first time in my life I'd rather sit down and have a conversation rather than watch TV. I don't get why we have so much more than we deserve. I don't get why you care so much. I don't get why your joy is contagious. I don't get why you took me back when we were dating after "the accident." I don't get why you put up with all the baggage I brought into our marriage. I don't get why whatever you cook is a gourmet meal. I don't get why you pick me up after I've fallen into the "miry clay." I just don't get it. I don't understand why. I am perplexed. I am confused. I am dumbfounded. I am silenced. I am humbled. I am awestruck. I just don't get why God would give me you.

3 comments:

Carolin said...

A Godly wife she is Jared ... what a blessed man & couple you guys are!

jaredandkatie said...

What a sweet husband I have!

Jason and Rachel said...

I cried. Thanks a lot Jared.