Thursday, November 20, 2008

Growing Up is Hard to Do!

Well, somehow Sara picked up on the hint that I wanted more pictures of Elli. So, she sent me some from her first bath. As you can tell, she is less than thrilled!



Then, here she is just sleeping like an angel that never cries. She's such a cutie. I miss her so much!

Here's the thing I don't understand about growing up. When you are born, God strategically places you into the group of people you would come to know and love and eventually call family. Then, you spend the next 20 years of your life getting to know them, creating bonds with them and learning to love them unconditionally. Eventually your siblings become more than just someone to fight with...they become your best friends. And you stop viewing your parents as people who are just trying to make your life miserable, but you come to understand that they are there to love you, guide you and encourage you to become the Godly young man or woman that they know you can be.

It's at this point, it seems, that it's time to say goodbye. It's time to "leave and cleave" as I've been told so many times in the last two years. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my husband dearly and I am so happy to spend the rest of my life with him. But it doesn't make sense to me that in gaining that love you also, on some levels, lose something. You lose the safety and comfort that are only brought to you in your family.

Of course, when we got married initially, I didn't feel this way. But now that I am 3 1/2 hours away from my parents and am soon to be 4 1/2 hours away from my sister--my best friend--and her sweet baby girl...it just seems so cruel. I know Jared and I are where we're supposed to be. But sometimes following God can be a lonely place...a place full of wonderful people, none of which you really, truly know. This place has a lot of potential to be called "home" someday, if only the void called "family" could ever be filled.

I will say, that I have the most wonderful husband who is so patient with me when I am feeling this way. He is never so selfish to make me feel bad for missing my family and friends back in TN.
Alright...I'm done being sad and sappy! I just look at the pictures of my neice and it makes me miss my family so much. I just needed a moment to get that off my chest! Thanks for listening!

3 comments:

Jason and Rachel said...

Katie, as part of your 'new' family, I totally understand where you're coming from. I couldn't have said it any better. Growing up does stink. I think one can realize how old they are when they look at the items they put on their Christmas wish list. It used to be filled with fun things like bikes and toys; now I'm actually pretty happy when someone buys me socks and underwear! Just don't ever tell the Norrises you want underwear. Trust me or just ask Jared.

Carolin said...

Oh Katie - bless your heart, I know exactly how you feel. I'm 42 years old and still miss my mother. It's hard being 12+ hours away from her but it helps knowing she is just a phone call a way.

Hang in there my friend!

Sara Couch said...

Katie, my sister and my best friend, I miss you too, and I too wish we could live closer to each other, but I am so proud of you and Jared and your decision to pursue the life God has chosen for you. Jared is a great man, and you are a fantastic helpmate. I love seeing God use your many unique gifts and talents in His unique and beautiful way. I am glad Elli shares your middle name, and I will proudly tell her how her aunt and uncle prayed fervently for her to be born and how they serve tirelessly for the Lord! I love you!