Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Sweetest Wedding

Jared and I had the opportunity to attend a wedding yesterday at 5:55 pm. This is the first "informal" wedding I've ever been a part of. The bride, though not dressed in a traditional wedding gown, was beautiful. The groom was smiling from ear to ear. There was no music, no grand entry of the bride, no flowers, no photographer. Just the pastor, the bride and groom who casually walked together onto the stage, 4 family members, and Jared and me. That was it. It was right before Wednesday night youth started and the sanctuary is right above the youth room. So, in the background you could hear kids downstairs laughing and talking and playing music. There were probably a hundred people busily doing things around our church who had no idea a wedding was even taking place. It was amazing!

For the first time I got to experience a wedding that was about nothing more than getting married. How refreshing! This couple knew they were in love, knew they wanted to be together for the rest of their lives, and that was enough. Now don't get me wrong, I loved our wedding. We had so much fun! And picking out the music and the flowers and the dresses were all part of that fun. But I realized last night how much those things can really detract from the most important thing-the marriage itself.

It made me think about how often we do this in our lives. It seems like everything becomes a production, bogged down in the details and appearances. Even our Christian walks often boil down to how much we can do at church, what others will think about us and how WE feel about our current circumstances. Rarely do we ever have the to opportunity to take away all the hoopla and just express our love for our savior. When was the last Sunday morning that you woke up so excited to go and attend worship for no other reason than just because you wanted to worship? I realize Sundays normally play out a little differently for those of us that are on staff at a church, but honestly, for me, it's been a long time! So that's my challenge for you for this palm Sunday...look forward to worshipping Jesus!

Okay, no more posts about things other than the baby. I know that's why you read this blog anyway!

1 comment:

Sara Couch said...

I do read to find out about my precious nephew, but your inspirational posts are good for me too. I needed some perspective today. Thanks!