Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Easter Bunny

If you are looking for a fun way to share the Easter story with your kids, here it is. One of the ladies that works for me, Deborah Fanneli, wrote this poem this week for our kids. If you're a publisher, give me a call...this could totally be a children's book. All we need is some illustrations!

The Easter Bunny

There was a little bunny
hopping along the way
watcing all the children
singing while they played

The children were waiting for Jesus
He was coming this day
to the town of Jerusalem,
they hushed their singing to pray

The little bunny watched quietly
as the children said "amen"
and ran to gather palm leaves
for their very special friend

As they laid their palm leaves on the road
they all started to sing
Hosanna! Hosanna!
Jesus, our King

The little bunny started hopping
all along the way
he followed Jesus to Jerusalem
on this very special day

Things weren't the same in town
like it was while on the way
angry men were questioning him
then Jesus left to pray

The little bunny followed Jesus
and several of his friends
to a garden called Gethsemane
until the day did end

Suddenly there was lots of noise
and all those angry men
took Jesus away and
the little bunny didn't see him again

...until...

A few days later, the little bunny
was sitting on a hill
he saw Jesus on a cross
and he was very still

The little bunny wrote his story
of what he saw that day
and colored all his Easter eggs
and this is what they say:

Brown is for the wooden cross
Red is for his blood
Purple's for his royal Robe
Yellow is the compassion he had for those who had him hung

Orange is the sunshine on the day he did arise
Green is the new beginning, just like in springtime
Blue is for the heavens where we'll be with him someday
And that's the story of the Easter Bunny and why he colored his eggs that way.

Anyway, I just thought that was a really cute idea of how to incorporate the Easter Bunny into the Easter story. Mrs. Deborah is so creative...we are lucky to have her working with us!

4 comments:

lauraknight said...

Hey, Katie. I love this poem! What a creative way to incorporate the real meaning of Easter with the Easter bunny traditions. I am going to read this to my girls this year for sure! I wish I had some connections to publishers because I can also see how this would be a sweet Easter book. Please thank your friend for me, and thank you for sharing it with us. Happy Easter!

Casey said...

I am so impressed with this poem. I love how the Easter Bunny can become a "Christian" character. I'll make sure my mom sees this since she's the director of our nursery.

BeBe said...

Katie,

This is a great poem for using the Easter bunny in a positive light.
It needs to become a book with a copyright imediately...surely your mom still has connections at Lifeway. Your the marketing and graphic design "go to girl"... I would love to use it each year in our church nursery.

If inexpensive enough (under $2) it could be used as a give away gift book on Easter when we have so many guests who come only a few times a year.

Deborah needs to get royalties and credit for this great creative work. I will be using it
in our church nursery. Thanks so much

Belinda Couch (Matt's Mom)
aka ...BeBe ;o)

jaredandkatie said...

Glad you guys have enjoyed the poem! I have talked to my friend and she has found someone to do some illustrations, so she is going to try to turn it into a book. I think she just genuinely had no clue how good it was. Your encouraging words were helpful!! Thanks so much!