Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Camp Survival!



Well, we survived the week at Centri-Kid (all three of us!). Though people thought I was crazy to go to camp at 36 1/2 weeks pregnant, it was well worth it. The folks at Lifeway really do know how to do camp and Centri-Kid is very chaperone-friendly! The only challenge I had during the week was that it was so hot! We did have one mis-hap while we were at camp, which is now pretty funny, but at the time not so funny.

So, we were getting out of the adult gathering while the kids were at Bible Study. All of the adults were walking together from the chapel down to the rec field for what is called OMC (organized mass chaos). This is like the hi-light of Centri-kid and what everyone looks forward to. Anyway, we're walking and all of the sudden Jared trips over the uneven pavement and rolled his ankle (which is not uncommon for him). He falls completely down, rolls over groans a little bit and hops back up. Me and Jared and the others around us kind of laugh it off and keep going. Just a few seconds later I look back to check on him and notice he is staggering. I thought, wow, his ankle must be really hurt. As I was saying "Are you sure you're okay?" I happened to notice that Jared's face was sheet white and his lips were a nice shade of blueish/purple. And, he wasn't staggering from pain in his ankle...he was passing out. So, in the 2 or 3 seconds it took me to figure all this out, Jared had hit the ground. (Much thanks to Peter who helped Jared fall in the mulch rather than the pavement!)

Anyway, Jared was out cold! I immediately hit the ground and started patting Jared's cheeks and yelling his name. By this time, I was totally freaked out and crying, and we were creating quite the spectacle! Someone ran up to me and asked if we needed anything (Jared was still out cold). I said, "we need the nurse!" Apparently she thought I was the one with the troubles, because she came back with an OB nurse that was chaperoning for another group! Anyway, right before the nurse gets there, Jared opens his eyes and in the most peppy voice, asks, "Did I fall down again?!" then closes his eyes back. Anyway....in the end, he was fine. The ankle was fine. He simply passed out from the combination of the pain/dehydration/getting up too quickly after he fell. Then for good measure, he got stung by a wasp 2 hours later! It was quite the day, but we survived.

So for those of you who are wondering...yes, Jared did dislocate his shoulder 2 years ago at Centri-Kid doing cartwheels. And, yes, that's the only other year I've been to camp. So, I'm thinking maybe I just shouldn't go to camp anymore!

No comments: