Friday, April 3, 2009

It's Always Hard to Say Goodbye

Well, as many of you know, a week ago yesterday my grandmother passed away. Granny was my dad's 81-year-old mother. She was a VERY Godly woman and left a legacy of God-fearing and God-honoring people in our family. She fervently prayed for her husband for nearly 50 years until my grandfather, at age 75, accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior. That was (about?) 13 years ago and because of her diligence, she is now enjoying eternity with the two loves of her life...her Lord and her husband.

Though it has been a hard week, I have had to remind myself how selfish it is to wish that she was still dwelling on this earth. Though she loved her 3 children, her 8 grandchildren and her 10 great grandchildren, I truly feel like she was ready to go. But, even so, it's been so hard to say goodbye...hard to say goodbye to my loving grandmother...to the home she has lived in and loved in...and to my family as I made my 6 hour trek home the night after the funeral.

But, I have come to the realization that it IS and WILL ALWAYS BE hard to say goodbye and I have decided that's a good thing. Because when it's hard to say goodbye, it means that you have loved well, lived hard and have enjoyed the season that God has placed you in. And though it's scary and hard and sad to move from one season to the next, I hope that I can always see in the "goodbye" a testimony of what the Lord has done and a promise of what he will continue to do.

2 comments:

Tommie said...

This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read. I am incredibly touched. What an amazing woman you've become; I am so blessed to call you cousin.

I must say you're a mighty fine writer too - extremely well spoken and written.

Jason and Rachel said...

Well said sister. I love you and continue to lift you and your family up in prayer.